PNG TIME

ipblocker

1/28/2010

Movies by Alice

I'm considering starting a new part of the blog called 'Movie Reviews by Alice'. Alice is a PNG friend of ours who works with my wife in the preschool as an assistant, and also baby sits our children. Part of the relationship building in this country is sort of a back and forth dependency. She relies on us often to help her with school fees, or seeds for her garden, and we have her help us out in trade with babysitting for us during Bible Study nights.

It has become a tradition for us to pick out a movie for her to watch after the kids go to bed. We often pick slapsticky type G rated films that she seems to enjoy. Somehow as a part of this, as I drive Alice home from babysitting, she gives me her review, as I'm always interested in finding out her thoughts. She speaks some English but is more comfortable in Tok Pisin.

It is always fun to hear her reviews of the movies from her perspective.

This week she watched "UP".

Disla lapun man em i wokim balloon nah haus bilong em roun roun. Em funny movie.


This old man tied balloons to his house and made it portable. It was a funny movie.


It's fun to hear Alice laugh, she's got a good laugh, even when life isn't treating her well. The heavy rains here have been ruining her garden, which to her is an important source of food for her family (she is a single mom), as well as income if she sells at market. But she said, (translated) 'Tomorrow I hope it doesn't rain, but if it does, I won't complain because God is in charge, and my complaints won't change that."

We try to be careful what movies we show Alice for fear of giving her the wrong impression of America, but we also enjoy sharing something of ourselves with her and hearing her reaction.

If you think hearing movies by Alice would be fun, I'll throw in a review when I get them.