PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/03/2008

Typesetting

I had the privilege of working on a computer across a desk from two translators beginning their typesetting stage.

Typesetting happens when the language portion of the book, or bible, or New Testament is finished. It is the final stage before printing (at least to my current understanding)

side note: If you feel that I say "at least to my current understanding" too often, it is because the way things work around here seem to me very much like an onion. The time you spend here determines how many layers into the onion you get. So I am cautious because if a very seasoned translator were to read my blog they may feel I have an incomplete grasp of reality... which is very very likely. This blog is a representation of life here as I understand it.

Anyway,

I can liken this process most like buying a new car.
The translators were happy, smiling, they has jsut finished their New Testament, and now they were ushered into the ROOM.

The room where the guy finalizes all the paperwork, has you sign, and asks if you want the clear coat. Only, in the typesetting process there is no salesmanship going on... but ironically there is a clear coat.

As I worked the translators decided on the type of binding and cover, leather? What color leather? Then the lettering, gold lettering? Red lettering? Then the maps, tri-color or full color maps of the Ancient World? There were many decisions to go through and samples were looked through.

Meanwhile, on the computer I was working on, the national lady hit a few buttons and the computer software began reading in text and outputting (Adobe InDesign) formatting. Pictures, verses, footnotes, cross references.

I have seen computers do a lot of beautiful things in my life. But I can not explain to you what happens in the Christian geek's heart when he sees a computer automation compiling and formating Scripture into the final product of what this Bible will look like! It was amazing, and I felt like sitting there and watching it work all afternoon.

They use a combination of Paratext6.1, Publishing Assistant, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe InDesign, with macros developed in Dallas, to put the project together. Once all the little pieces are put in place, then the automation macros build the Scripture.

It gave a new meaning to God breathed for me, because it felt as if the words were being breathed onto the pages. Blank pages a moment ago, then words and formatting began appearing. It was very special to see that coupled with the translators making the decisions on the appearance, decisions that typically involve the village nationals that they are working with.

And yes, there is a clear plastic cover for the Bible because after all we are in a tropical rainy area.

So.... "would you like the clear coat with that?" may make you smile the next time you hear it at the car dealership.