PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/10/2008

Saturday in the cluck

We treated the kids to a new place 15 minutes up the road.
"Higlands Chicken"
Imagine K.F.C. with flies and lizards, and the food takes 30 minutes to arrive, and scratch the variety. The menu has "#1, #3, #5" that's it.

It was like an oasis to us!

While were were there a man sold us a bag of his own grown coffee. Organically grown,picked himself and sold to us, ground already. I told him I didn't drink coffee
"mi laik dringim copi"

but I spoke with him a while and found his name and apparently his reputation is decent as a coffee maker, but he does tend to hound people. So I expect I'll be seeing him again.

Then he left, he had come into the restaurant because he saw us go in.
Next to me was an older gentleman who gave his approval of the coffee, and we talked.
It was hard to hear inside with the music being so loud, but he told me about his eye, and how it's "rotting". Older men here tend to have eyes go bad. I've seen it on more than half a dozen people but I don't know what causes it. The eye turns brown or black and they lose much of their site in it. I suspect it's related to diet.

He hadn't gotten to the point where he was asking for money, but he started to get there. This happens from time to time, but it happens everywhere.

We talked a bit, I shared some chicken and chips (fries) with him, and he was a very nice older gentlemen, sitting inside the restaurant for no real reason other than to people watch, he hadn't ordered any food.

It was a good time of simply conversing with total strangers.

I don't know why I blog it now other than to mention, it was an enjoyable outing.