PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/27/2008

In the Midst

in the midst of an otherwise stressful time, I got a fun quote.
I'm working on an older translator's laptop and I'm trying to repair the modem.
He happened in, gave me a very firm handshake and said, "the sound hasn't been working since I spilled coffee on it, but the modem is fine."

and then I asked "was the modem working recently?"
"oh yes, it was working as recently as a year ago."

I would have chuckled if I thought he was joking.
It highlighted the difference between those who have been here over 20 years and those who haven't yet been here a year.

Update on the Water situation:
Our water has been dismantled by a man who has done so illegally.
As a result his entire clan have been made ineligible to work here. Every department has lost many employees until this water issue is resolved.

It is the culturally appropriate way to handle the issue, let the clan deal with it amongst themselves.

Currently, our work load has doubled since we've lost half our staff in our dept. Kendal's school is getting no maintenance or janitorial work done, neither are we.
We've been asked not to use the bathrooms at work because of no water, and at home, 1 of the two bathrooms is working.

But it has been raining a lot.

Still, disputes over water rights went out in the 1800's in the U.S. didn't they? It is a very interesting new twist to living here, and it will be educational to see how it works out.