PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/27/2007

The Week

The kids are getting popular over here. We spent the weekend taking them to play dates last week, and right now we have some kids over here for play date today. After about the fifteenth rendition of chopsticks on the piano I'm heading to work (-;.

On Friday I was asked to install sql on a server down in Aviation but half way through the server crashed. SO.. I decided to schedule some time on a Saturday (today) to go into work and finish the job so that it didn't interrupt anyone's work.

We spent the first three days of the week in orientation to the center. They taught us all about how things here work and what department does what. It really is an impressive machine. How things stay afloat here with all the people coming and going is remarkable. It requires a lot of flexibility. They have people who came here to do one thing and are now doing 6 things or doing something completely different than what they were originally doing.

The good news is that you can branch out and do a lot of challenging new things. The bad news is that if you're not careful you can get stretched too thin. So we're being wise in our commitments thus far, but truly everyone here is very committed to the work of translation.

Thursday and Friday were normal work days. We got caught up on chores at home. My wife made pretzels, bread, cake and cookies that we later shared with others.

We found out a brand of tuna we don't like. Diana brand. It was kind of funny as we found another new couple who had a similar experience with the tuna as we did.

It is good to have the people back from POC so there are other NEW people who we can relate to as far as our adaptation process.

For me this week has been a long realization of how nothing is instant here.
I didn't recognize how much I had adapted to the instant gratification of the culture in the bay area, CA.

I couldn't go get a burrito at midnight. If I wanted a snack, it would take preparation.

I couldn't pick up and drive to the barber. I had to find someone who cut hair and make an appointment for 2 weeks from now. My hair will be very long by then.

There isn't a lot of immediacy here. If you want to get something done, you have to plan for it, and then wait.

I think that personally for a few days here I was getting a little tired of all the waiting. The process of detoxifying my personality from impatience is at times uncomfortable.

I like to get things done, now. I like to write a list of things to do, and knock them off several in a day. I dislike when that list grows more than it shrinks.

The process has been the last 5 days:
-fits of impatience.... "why can't they jsut!!!!..."
-sudden realization that you can't do something you used to
-calm acceptance
-quiet sighs

I've got to figure out how to remain driven when faced with a culture that doesn't achieve as quickly as I'm used to.

The pleasant upside is the environment is a lot less stressful. In a way this is my adjustment. My wife's adjustment is very much in the home for now. She will adjust more as she begins teaching later.

For me, inside the home is less adjustment.
Outside the home I have to figure out how to function without the constant threat of immediacy and high priority.

It's a change I'll welcome.