PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/29/2007

Aiyura Ridge Boys





What an incredible Saturday!

I started off by working a few hours, and around lunch time I wondered "what do people do here on the weekends?"

Around 12:30 we got an email to everyone "we're going hang gliding if you'd like to come, it would be good if you had a quad 4x4" So me and my son decided impromptu to jump on the 4x4 which I think today earned a name, and headed out.

We went off center, WAY off center. Outside the gates, down the road, then veer off the road, through bumpy, brushy jungle, then up a very rutted hill, and to the top of a hill, THEN across the ridge blazing a trail as we went. I very quickly realized this wasn't going to be a quick trip and perhaps we should have packed better.

Cutting through the brush, over rocks, through ditches, passed crazed dogs, and found a clearing. Two dirt bikes, 2 quads, and 3 para-gliders. We then were introduced to para-gliding by an Australian gentlemen. It was a gorgeous view! I could see the entire Aiyura valley, all over and it was excellent for getting my bearings and realizing where everything was. My feet are destined to stay firmly on solid ground, but we enjoyed watching them. I personally lost my daredevil gene the year I had children.

My son was having a blast riding the rough trails with me as I was with him. Then, they flew away! WOW! It was amazing, and the nationals thought so too as they gathered around. I took it upon myself to offer one of them a ride up the hill, which as a different more challenging narrow ridge trail. I went RIGHT down the mountain, and then, I had no idea if my little Polaris 325 would make it up the hill with 2 guys and a para-gliding pack on it.

IT did. It was steep, and rocky, hard to see through the tall kunai grass, and at times I had no weight on the front and had to throw my weight around to get it up, but we got up and we were pretty impressed. I even surprised myself because I have no quad driving experience and this was perhaps the toughest terrain (sans mud) that I could have taken it on.

Like I said, today I think it earned a name. It definitely became a tool today instead of a toy. I'm not one to name vehicles but I may make an exception in this case.

I was really needing some adventure and to soak in the beauty that is this place. It is incredible how gorgeous it is to look down over the valley and see all the villages and their distances from each other. I don't know about you, but the thing that inspires me most to worship the greatness of God is viewing His creation. As I looked down on the valley my heart was filled with how marvelous God is. I can remember a handful of truly wonderful worship experiences and they all involved me in the middle of God's majestic creation.