PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/19/2015

Verklempt Thanks

Verklempt - yiddish for 'choked with emotion'.  The American's say 'I had a lump in my throat.'
I'm about to thank someone.  But before I do, I want to say a word about thanks.

A lot of Christians don't like being thanked, at least not publicly.  I believe everyone appreciates gratitude.  There are Scriptural reasons for this.  The idea that all good gifts come from God.  That we should give all thanks to God, that the only thanks we need is God saying 'well done.'

However I was raised to always say 'thank you'.  It is the polite thing to do.

Ray Boltz sings a song 'Thank You' that will get anyone Verklempt.

For those who do good deeds and do not wish to be thanked, let us compromise and allow me to thank God, for your generosity.

The Ladies of the Calvary Thursday morning Bible study, we give thanks to God for you.  For allowing my wife the opportunity to share the passion of our ministry with you.  For giving my family encouragement in the form of gifts, tools, batteries, and other items we need for our time in PNG.  For even asking 'what do you need?'

Today I came home from work, and my wife showed me the generosity that flowed from you ladies.  The encouragement hit me very quickly and the emotion welled up that the only thing I can say is I got an instant lump in my throat.  I could go on and on about what this has meant to us.  But I am not sure you would appreciate me heaping thanks upon you… because you're humble servants, and they tend not to like that sort of thing.

Please know, your gifts were more than gifts, they were reassurances, encouragements, and some very practical ways to split wood for heating water. (-;

The tools were a very proper PNG gift, by the way.  A good PNG gift is a practical item that is useful.  Wrapping and ribbon is called 'bilas' and unnecessary when giving gifts.  What is necessary is whether or not the tool can be used well and if it is a well made tool.  Don't try to give a PNGian a fancy shmancy all-in-one wonder tool.  A simple shovel, axe, or knife is appreciated most. 

We so very much appreciate you ladies.