PNG TIME

ipblocker

9/15/2013

Extreme Couponing and God



So I'm watching this show 'Extreme Couponing' and wondering 'is this gluttony or is this creative use of money?'  I see all these people with these storehouse of product that if we can get here, it's expensive.

Do you know that here in Ukarumpa, we pay anywhere from $8 - $25 for a box of breakfast cereal.  As you can imagine, suddenly Lucky Charms becomes as rare as Caviar and we're rarely eating it.

On the TV I see a basement filled with such boxes that they got for free.

And I'm part thinking 'wow, now THIS is awesome, they're really working the system!' 
And part thinking 'they are abusing the system and breaking the law' (dumpster diving in California is illegal).

but then I had this whole new thought.

If people were to apply this skill and donate the food to the homeless, to missions, to churches, not only would they get the tax benefits, but people in PNG could afford cereal!

My mind started racing about a ministry.  People who live in home countries, and work the couponing system, and then donate the food to missions locations to support the folks there!

So I thought 'maybe someone else had this idea.'  and Googled 'couponing for Christ'.

Wow.  apparently there is a whole lot of debate over whether or not this behavior of extreme couponing is ethical or not.

So I caught the end of one show and this guy bought a trailer load of cereal and donated it to a homeless organization and I thought 'Now there's a guy who has his priorities straight.'

HE bought something like $2000 worth of cereal for $3 or something, and then loaded up a trailer and hauled it to a charity.

Basements full of deodorant, detergent, tons of can goods... and I'm seeing these and thinking 'do you KNOW how rare those items are over here!!!! Don't stock pile it... send it!'