PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/22/2010

the Scowl


One of the parts of culture that is continually difficult to adjust to, is the Highlands penchant for scowling.

You see many more smiles along the coastal areas, and it seems many of our PNG friends who have come to know the Lord also smile. But culturally a smile is not something you come across often in the Highlands.

In the U.S. if you're walking towards someone, even if a total stranger... say at work, you will tend to greet them, if only with your eyes and slight smile.

If it is someone you know, the lack of a smile might impress upon them you are unhappy with them.

Staring is considered rude in the U.S. as well.

But here, staring with the lack of a smile... and in fact a scowl, is completely apropos.

It strikes a Westerner like me as odd at first. You understand why they're staring. I'm white, and I'm 6'5" tall. To them I'm a giant, and my actions are interesting. As a person with white skin, what I do, say, eat, purchase, wear, is all of interest to them.

The staring isn't the issue after a while, you get used to it. But after 3 years here, I continually have to remind myself 'that person is NOT mad at you, that is there default look'.

At some age children stop laughing and smiling, and begin scowling. It strikes me as a sad thing, but it is a hard life living how they do, and I can see why they might BE unhappy. But they aren't. The scowl is simply... their look.

So, if you happen to be visiting, and you're walking down the road, a big strong PNG man scowls at you... don't think he is angry at you or wants to cause you harm... it is simply his default look.

I find it interesting the things that still surprise you. With all the adjusting that goes on, we still think VERY western. For example, the other day I'm heading home and a kid scowls at me, like in the picture above, and my reaction in my head was...

"What did I ever do to you?"

but then I realize, he's probably thinking "that's a big man... I like candy."