PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/24/2010

Hair


Continuing in my line of 'things you learn to adjust to' comes hair.

You learn to live with either bad haircuts, OR similar haircuts. If you do find someone good at cutting hair, the odds are they aren't stylists who know hundreds of different styles.

I was raised going to a barber shop, and look forward to visiting that same shop on furlough. Getting a nice hair cut is a special treat, however paying for it is also a rare occasion. Who knew that the hair market was a get-what-you-pay-for industry?

Here, you have three options:

-buzz it
-cut it yourself
-have a friend cut it

The guys have it easy, if they can live with a buzz cut. You see MANY school age kids with buzz cuts, which makes a lot of the boys look the same from the back.

The girls, not as easy.

Gladly there are a few people here who volunteer their time to free or paid haircuts.

I remember one particular time a friend volunteered to cut my hair when I was first here, and I assumed she had done it before because of her confidence.

Ten minutes into the extremely painful haircut she says 'this is my first time'.

I should have been clued in by the fact that she wanted to borrow my clippers.

javascript:void(0)
GUYS, you might find this place is a paradise. I'm serious! A place where your hair doesn't have to look nice, your clothes don't have to be in style, and there is no place to go shopping.

GALS, sounds like a nightmare doesn't it? Well, the things that really matter you get a LOT of here. Good family time, close relationships with friends, and good time to spend together. In many ways it's like college life, getting to make lifelong friends.