PNG TIME

ipblocker

4/16/2009

New toy at work



for a long time we've labored to keep our storage needs branch wide, to 330gb as that was our old JBOD (just a bunch of disks) configuration.

This month we got this new toy, a 14TB SAN. The sad thing is that because we're low on staff, I won't have a lot of time to be configuring this bad boy until things lighten up. The good thing is that once it's up, the integrity of our data will increase dramatically.

In other words...
now that we have more space, people won't have to keep chapters of the Bible on their laptop hard drives, which tend to get stolen.

Now the data can reside in one place and be backed up. This is something we've been pushing for for 2 years now.

I have found it is difficult to change the mindset of people who have not worked in professional environments. The idea of having central data tends to scare people until you add words like RAID, BACKUP, CRISIS RECOVERY... and then they calm down.

There is still very much the mentality of "give me a knife and a laptop and I'll go into the jungle and get stuff done!" I love that mentality... I love those people!

But what I try to do is when they get back, pry the data from their hands, and put it in a nice safe place (-;