PNG TIME

ipblocker

5/13/2007

Understanding Blessings

It is very easy to concentrate on the positive here. You simply have to look around. I've been entering the phase of cultural adaptation that is typically described as "irritability". For no known reason I feel grumpy and discouraged randomly throughout the day. But I know this, and so I try to control that.

I take long breaths and look at the scenery.
I thank God for what I see.

There are so many blessings that this part of the journey is thus far, easily adjusted to.

This weekend we had a great time! The weekends here are so... restful and filling. The one thing I think we're starting to feel a bit of the pull on is preparing all meals. You have to plan your day so that you have the hour or two or three it takes to prepare you meal. Speaking of which, one of the easiest weekly meals we had as a family is now our hardest, as we continue to keep Sunday our pizza night! We made a GREAT bbq-chicken pizza last night. My wife did the dough, I did the sauce, we put chicken, olives, grilled onions, pineapple on top. OOH boy.. good stuff! But it took a few hours from start to finish. You don't buy grated cheese or sliced olives or any of those things that could shave even a few minutes off the process.

But still cooking is therapeutic, and when we do it together, it is more fun! Although Kendal does do most all the kitchen burden right now, I have to be honest.

Friday night, under the category of inventing your own fun, the high schoolers gave their annual talent night. My son fell asleep, buy my daughter was enthralled. They had gymnastics, lip syncing, piano, guitar, singing, drama, all kinds of performances and we laughed a lot.

Saturday I attended a horse management course in the morning. Yes they have about 24 horses here, privately owned, and they need people to tend for them while their owners are away. I thought it would be an awesome opportunity for my kids, but before they can approach the horses, I need to complete and pass a several week management course. I have some experience with horses, so I'm not worried about that. I'm simply shocked and amazed they keep horses here. Well "they" don't.

The organization I work for allows their employees to entertain their hobbies off center and will not be involved or subsidize it. So there are horses near here, but not OF or FROM here if that makes sense. I need to make that point because you may wonder what raising horses has to do with Bible Translation. It doesn't, it's jsut one of the blessings that comes with living where I do.

Most of the more "fun" things to do here, doesn't have so much to do with Bible Translation directly as it does with being a way that members here recreate. Please don't think that my organization has anything to do with it. They don't. They simply give us the freedom to let our weekends be our weekends. (although during emergencies many of us work on weekends).

Later that day the high school had a track and field tournament which we attended for a while.

Then in the evening, my wife had the opportunity to spend some time forging relationships with some women on center at a "gals night out."

Sunday was Mother's Day and we had brunch, I surprised Kendal with a book (Anne of Green Gables) that I had bought used off of a leaving member, and then went off center to a river and the kids and I played in the water for a bit while Kendal looked on lovingly. (-;

Overall, a very restful and fun weekend. I'm hearing that come June this place is a ghost town for 6 months because everyone with school aged children leave for break. We'll enjoy the fun weekends while they last.

But today is Monday. And work begins. Today as I walked to work, I prayed "God, today your work begins new. Please let me heed your wisdom, and serve you well. Thank you for the chance to work for you."

As I restore data from tapes, implement new services, and research new ideas, I can't believe that not only is God letting my work have a purpose, but He's made me a part of a bigger team, and... He has thrown in the side benefit of having this wonderful place to live in. God truly blesses us abundantly.

And then... as if I didn't have enough blessing from God through all of this, I get this email this morning. God really piles it on sometimes doesn't He?

Dear Chad,
Just to let you know that my daughter in [place], Fiji and I, in [place], New Ireland are now connecting. I rang you the other day about telephone to broadband connection. Thank you for your reassurance and help at that time.
In Him,
[name]
[position] Manager


One small phone conversation I had, linked a woman in New Ireland to her daughter in Fiji. THAT is why I am here. I can only imagine what other things God has planned. I remember after this conversation that I barely understood a word the woman was saying and I was trying to be helpful and when we hung up I thought "God how can I have possibly helped that woman, I couldn't very well understand her."