PNG TIME

ipblocker

1/05/2007

Going Away Party

Our adult congregation hosted a nice little "going away party" for us tonight. I can tell you I was really hoping it wouldn't be a tear jerking kind of time. And it wasn't. It was a good night of fellowshiping, talking, and trying to tell people how truly excited we are about what God is having us do.

There is something very faith building when you know that God has called you to do something. You have no idea of your immediate future but you know you're where God wants.

Thankfully no one asked me to do a speech. Although, if they had, this is the speech I would have done, impromptu of course (-;. Here is the abridged version, sans the jokes that would only work in person.


--Ten years ago, my wife suggested we attend an "adult congregation" class. I replied "Sunday school is for kids. Why would I want to go?" But I went because she made good sense and I was hoping it would be a way to make common friendships as she was new to the Bay Area.

Over the years there have been a lot of good times together. The better part of my character has been shaped there in large part by the experiences I've had with people in this room. Looking back I can see how God intended me to walk through those doors into this class and how He has used it to His glory.

The interesting thing, is that jsut as God planned for us to come through those doors to join you, He also planned way back when, for us to walk out those doors to leave you.

It could seem like a sad thing. It does feel sad to realize you won't be spending as much time face to face as you're used to, but our eyes are set on God's kingdom. And that's why this isn't a goodbye party, it's a going away party. We're going away, but it's not goodbye.

Everyone here has contributed to God's glory in the very fact that we've spent time with you and seen God through you in some way or another and have been inspired to give back to God because of that.

This is fellowship, this is what God intended for all of us to do. To lift each other up.

We're excited about the stories we're going to share that God is doing in our lives. And we're very excited to hear the praises everyone of you have and will lift up to God for the rest of our lives together.