PNG TIME

ipblocker

8/16/2013

Gilly the Orderly

Was laying on the hospital bed a few days ago, my wife by my side, when
a dark skinned man walked in asking if I wanted coffee or tea.

"You laik coffee or tea boss?"
and I replied "no thank you, are you from PNG?"
he replied 'yes!'
instantly kendal and I began speaking in Tok Pisin to him while our
nurses and roommate listened on having no idea what we were saying.

His name was Gilly, and he was very friendly. He moved from Morobe to
Cairns, met a New Zealand woman and married her. He said he was very
impressed with my wife's tok pisin and that she spoke it much better to
his wife.

He poked in from time to time, jokingly promising to bring his wife in
so she could take lessons.

Later my wife said 'why did you happen to ask if he was from PNG?' and I
said 'because he called me boss.'... (boh-ss).

It was a good conversation and it opened the gateway to also talking to
my roommate about life and children and choices. I forgot how nice it
feels to be out in the world when you aren't surrounded by other
missionaries and be able to talk to people about Christ and to be a
light in the world. It felt really nice.