PNG TIME

ipblocker

10/20/2007

A Painting, Providence

Should I write blog in haiku? Would we call that "blogku" ? Or perhaps "haikog"?

That isn't my area of expertise... I'm more of a run on sentence kind of guy.

3 years ago in October 2004 I came to PNG for 3 weeks.
for 3 of those days I spent time in a language area (apparently I shouldn't say village? This is news to me but it was a village.)

We visited 3 villages, Goglmo was one of the ones where we showed the Jesus Film and I played with the kids.

3 years later exactly... the same month... my wife says "I'd like to check out this National Art show." So she went, and I stayed and did work around the house.

She says "I liked one let's go back."

So we went back, and we liked the same one so I was able to talk to the artist. Found out he was a national translator with the same guy who's village I visited and is FROM the village I visited 3 years ago.

I don't know the odds of that, but we bought the painting because it's a little piece of our history (and here they are very cheap).

Now we have more of a story than "we liked it so we bought it". It is in fact, 3 years to the month after my original trip here, meeting a man from the village that was instrumental in teaching me about the true PNG, and who had painted this beautiful scene of a lake in Goroka (the town I flew into 3 years ago and haven't been to since).

I do not believe in coincidence, I can't afford to.
I am not normally an "art" purchaser but this one happened to be the right price (about $40.00 US) and had a good story to it, and has a lot of personal memories tied to it as well.