PNG TIME

ipblocker

8/14/2007

Tuesday

POC is camping. There are two Finnish families here and they are a delight to be around, they have good attitudes, they make funny jokes and they are all around good people. One thing though, is they are not used to the humidity nor are they used to the bugs.

They do not camp for recreation in their country so this is their first camping experience. Imagine if your first camping experience, someone told you "the frogs are poisonous, there are scorpions and snakes... enjoy your stay"

You'd be on the first train home.

Today we hiked. Mondays we hike, Tuesdays we swim. The meals are such that you get energy in the morning to learn, energy in the afternoon to exercise, and sustenance in the evening to prepare you for the next day.

There are many things here that can challenge and exhaust every different type of person. The program in my opinion is designed to challenge and even intimidate everyone in some aspect.
There is language learning, teamwork building, meal preparing, chores and duties, the living environment, the weather, the physical requirements, the slow internet, being away from home (a lot of these people, this is their first exposure to this country and they are battling home sickness at the same time. I firmly believe God was lightening our burden by allowing us to come earlier)

So... what is the hardest part for me?
I am excelling in my understanding of the language and my ability to speak it is coming along. Mostly because this is academic. I'm loving the historical, geographical and political information in the reading and the teaching.

For me the biggest challenge, and before coming the part I knew I would fail at, is the hikes.

It is hard for me to fail. I do not like to fail. So before arriving I was very nervous that I might be unable to complete the hikes in good health. The swimming I wasn't worried about. I have an advantage in water because I weigh less.

Today I completed my second hike.

In the last week I've played a ton of volleyball, and I mean ALL OUT diving into the ground volleyball. I've surprised myself with my aptitude for it. I've played a lot of soccer. And although I've sustained minor cuts and scrapes, I've enjoyed it.

In the hot sun, in strong humidity. Sweating is a 24x7 thing here so we drink a lot of water.

Part of it is that I don't like to sit around and do nothing because the furniture in the rooms is so uncomfortable that I think, I'd rather be uncomfortable breathing hard and sweating playing a sport than sitting around reading.

But at the same time, I know that if I push myself, being ignorant of personal upkeep, that I could harm myself, so I don't push it too hard. I take my time and go at my own pace.

Here's the part where God and I have been growing closer.
I went to God when I got here and said "God, I believe your Word, and I do not want to complain that I am here, but I have to be here. God I believe that if I turn my eyes onto you, you will be sufficient for me."

So I began to simply concentrate on making God my provision. And something amazing is happening. God and I are communing. I read my Bible in the morning. 2 Cor 4. He talks about our bodies being temporary. About sleeplessness and worry. He talks in Chapter 12 about how He is made strong in our weakness.

So if I truly believe His Word, then I will apply it now during this time of my life where I do not feel I can complete the tasks before me.

And I have completed my hikes, and God has given me energy like I've never known before in my life. He has given be ability like I have never had. My mind is clear, my body is being disciplined. It is hard work and while I'm working hard I'm praising God because my attitude is good, and His burden is not heavy.

I can not explain it very well, but somehow, God has transformed this task I felt impossible and was grumbling about before I came, into an experience I am joyful of. In place of pain I feel energy, in place of anger I feel joy, in place of self-pity I rejoice in God's provision for me and my family.

I can summarize it to say that I'm learning to rely less on myself and my abilities and recognize God's ability in my life and His strength.