PNG TIME

ipblocker

12/16/2006

Health Update

For those that have been praying.

My son had tubes put in his ears, and his adenoids removed yesterday around 1pm. The procedure went smoothly. His adenoids were very large.

He's almost back to his normal self, except he's been unable to hold down solids but he's working through it. What a trooper, was calm the whole time.

We got great care. This had God's hands on it from start to finish:
-we needed him in quick, the doctor got him in 3 days later because he was sympathetic to our cause.

-the anesthesiologist (sp?) had done several volunteer global short term trips himself and even was able to compare notes with my wife on certain places. He was GREAT with kids, a very pleasing bedside manner.

-that time of day the recovery room was empty so we got focussed attention.

-after we got home, my wife, who wasn't feeling great, finally took a moment to realize she had strep. We were able to get the oncall doctor to write a scrip for drugs for her without a visit and she's feeling a TON better today. That almost NEVER happens.

God had his hand on this family through this entire process, I'm sure there is more but I'm pretty tired from taking care of sickies all night.


Thanks God!

Side note:
Yesterday was the first time I ever had to see my kid attached to an I.V., with breathing mask and everything. I admire the strength of so many of my friends who have had to do that for prolongued periods of time during their child's infancy. Ear tubes and adenoid surgery is a cake walk compared to some of that stuff. And through it all, somehow my little son, with his bravery and calmness, facing his own nerves, made me respect him and proud and thankful to God all at the same time.

It is amazing what God will help us get through.

Prior to the surgery I was talking and walking with him. We spoke about bravery.
"Son, bravery is when you do something you need to, even though it scares you to do it. Can you think of an example?"

without hesitation he responds

"yeah, like I'm scared to go to Papua New Guinea, but I'm gonna go."

From a child's mouth, at any moment, without warning can come silliness, or poignancy.