PNG TIME

ipblocker

2/24/2014

Payshunce

For most people patience doesn't come naturally. For the rare few who
it does, I have the utmost respect. For me, patience in large amounts
is required to do my job.

When recording someone reading the Bible in their own language, and that
reader sometimes has only recently learned to read, I have to do a lot
of re-takes, edits, adjustments and such. If I convey to the reader
that they are making mistakes, or lose my temper, it is counter
productive, and so, I always maintain a professional demeanor, I speak
reassuringly, etc.

There is that mental patience. Like teaching a child to read, and
having them make the same mistakes over and over again in the book. "The
c...cat.. jumped over... the dooog. The dog. Dog, the Cat joomped, I
mean jumped over the dog." Only because I'm constantly recording
different languages, it is like the child never matures.

But there is another type of patience.

My every moment with this person, is a testimony. How I treat them.
So, I treat them kindly and with love, get to know them, and I try to
help them do their best. Which means... not being a distraction.

Suppose while they are recording I get a nose-itch. But if I lift my
hand to itch it, they may mistake my hand motion to mean 'stop!' ... so
I don't dare move.

Suppose while I'm recording my phone shows an important message.... I
have to wait until this section of Scripture it done before I can reply.

Or the phone rings, I can't answer it (it's muted).

Or I get a crick in the back, I don't move, because the chair might squeak.

This is the type of patience you have to discipline yourself to have as
a recordist. Basically, become a statue for hours at a time.

At least that is how I go about it, because we don't have a professional
studio to do the recording in.

What's my point?
My point is, for me, my job is a daily exercise in developing a
discipline I don't naturally have in heaps. God is constantly teaching
me something.