PNG TIME

ipblocker

8/12/2015

Victim Mentality





The dictionary defines this as:

Victim mentality
is an acquired (learned) personality trait in which a person tends to regard him or herself as a victim of the negative actions of others, and to think, speak and act as if that were the case — even in the absence of clear evidence.

For me, practically it looks like this:
Victim mentality: "I didn't know that! Why hasn't anyone ever explained that to me?"
vs.
My mentality (I have no title for it) : "I didn't know that!  I should investigate that further, I wonder why I never investigated that before."

I have been trying to teach my son how to stop saying the word "Can't".  It is self-defeating.  Deciding that the world is out to get you, is self-defeating.  You can't get anywhere with that mindset.

The Bible tells us we wrestle against things not of this world.  Our attitudes can be a part of that.  Yes spiritual warfare can affect your stress level, and your attitude.

God is sovereign - believe that (bellee dat).
You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you - believe that.
If you abide in Him, you will accomplish things - believe that.

Having a victim mentality, feeling like everything in this life is happening to you, because of someone or something else, is a failing attitude.  But, it gets one thing right.  Humility.  Unfortunately it also creates despair. 

On the mission field you need a few things to stay alive and productive:
-a recognition that GOD is the only one who gets anything done.  We're along for the ride.  We're invited by HIM to participate in what He is doing.  No good we go and get a big ego about this, humility is key.

-hope - God is our hope.  Even when we don't see fruit from our labor, God is our hope.

-God is in charge - He is an excellent planner, so follow His path.

Be encouraged... WHO has stood against GOD and come out unscathed?  No one.  Don't despair.  Instead be full of hope.