PNG TIME

ipblocker

3/26/2014

Staying Cool


This is my homemade cooling unit at work.

It is a high speed electric motor, with a fan, put into a home-made sheet metal casing.  Originally created to simulate fire for some activity, where an orange cloth would be attached to it and set upright to make it 'flicker'.

I inherited it when a friend went home finish.  I inherited a lot of odds n ends to be made into something else.

Yesterday I returned to my office after a 7 week absence.  I had been in recording sessions for 5 and board meetings for 2.

I discovered that:
-the server was down
-the AC unit was broken
-the UPS unit was dead

Years ago the windows in my office were replaces with pane glass, because we are at or under ground level with a popular road.  Which means we were getting dust into our equipment all the time through the louvres.

So currently I sit at the end of a tunnel like office structure, with only my AC unit to give me an environment in which I can work.

Yesterday I was sweating buckets trying to get my work done in my work office.  (recall the computer setup I have? most of it puts off a lot of heat)
I have too much work to accomplish to miss being in the office any longer.  (2 NT to post produce to Audibible and a video to edit).

So, I traded my work pants for shorts, my work shirt for a t-shirt, my shoes for 'crocs' and brought my makeshift fan into work, propped it up with 2 cd bundles and went back to work.

It's still warm, but I can at least get a little work done.  Even if my forearms are sticking to the desk.