PNG TIME

ipblocker

6/20/2007

WAHOO!

Today I'm pretty excited.
About a week ago a close friend sent me an email something like "if you're interested here's a nice network utility."

I poked around it, tried it and moved on to another software, that I happened LOVE!

As network administrator, my personal goal when "moving in" is to gain complete visibility to the network, and thus be able to predict, see, and troubleshoot network problems. Everyone has their preferred tools, and I honestly have never been completely happy with any single tool for network monitoring. On my usb thumb drive I keep several tools and carry them with me.

Well, this particular software had a "freeware" trial version and in the course of two days me and my co-worker really fell in love with this software. We wanted to recommend it to our management, only the version we wanted cost $100.00.

A mere pittance compared to other competitors. The new guys always start out very affordable. Ironically, both of us had used Solarwinds, back when it was $100.00

But this new software, PRTG, props to http://www.paessler.com is phenominal.

I won't go into it, I get pretty excited.

ANYWAY, as we were preparing to pitch the idea, our manager walks in and mentions "I'm over budget." So we let it go.

Then I thought, "hey, why don't I write a letter?"

So I wrote a letter to the company (email) and explained who I was, who my organization was and what we would love to do with their software should they donate it to us.

The next morning (today) I came into work, and BINGO, they said "we have donated you a 100 sensor license and 12 months of support" !!!!!

WOW!!!!

I mean wow. $100.00 may not sound like much, but what is so rewarding here is that they responded so quickly, and so completely. The email had a link to the software, a license code, EVERYTHING we need to get better visibility on our network!

I tell you, God has been increasingly teaching me to think outside of the box. There is nothing He can't accomplish!

It feels really good to find a piece of quality software, but then add to that, a generous heart, and I say that company has the makings of something good.

Thanks.